Rock me to sleep

So I usually function on about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, but on this ship, I usually get anywhere from 8-9 hours of sleep every night. The difference still remains that I wake up and I am not rested. I usually then take a nap during the day. It sucks. Do something for me: Close your eyes

Imagine you are a small child and your mother is about to rock you to sleep. You are cradled in her arms and she rocks you to sleep. The same thing happens on this ship 24 hours a day. Whether you are in class, trying to read, trying to sit on the deck, eating a meal, talking to someone, or just out of the shower… you will be tired and on the verge of sleep.

I'm actually about to pass out right now as I write this. Life on land is different. Not to mention my room here has no windows so if the lights are off, it is pitch black and very welcoming to sleep. Global Studies is a course that could use some work. I understand that it is hard to teach 702 students the same thing using about 10 different classrooms at the same time, but something must be done. There are days when it is hard to stay away and the rocking of the ship does anything BUT help stay awake. The reading is out of control, but I guess that is to be expected when you are cramming an entire semester onto a ship that is going around the world at 20mph. We have a test in a few days and it will be hard to prepare for. It will be the first multiple-choice test I have had in almost a year. I guess writing 25 pages of papers a week last semester might come back to bite me in the ass. Brazil seems fascinating and some of the things that happen there are ridiculous and can only be described in person because I do not have the time or words to describe them, and I am not even there yet.

Staying awake is a challenge. 24 hours a day. I do not think I’m the only one that thinks this. Everyone is tired all the time. Passing out seems like a great alternative.

Being peacefully rocked to sleep.

3 Response to "Rock me to sleep"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    February 13, 2007 at 10:28 AM
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  2. Anonymous Says:
    February 13, 2007 at 12:33 PM

    Um FYI, when you tell us to close are eyes, we can't keep reading what you want us to imagine...

    Good luck with staying awake, unless you don't want to stay awake, in which case good luck with sleeping!

  3. Anonymous Says:
    February 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM

    now you know how i feel...i'm sleepy like that all the time and i'm on land!