Site Assignment: Yo Creek


Destination: Yo Creek
District: Orange Walk
Assignment: Sacred Heart RC School

Sites are in and I got the one site that I never looked into because I thought there'd be no chance of me going there. I guess that's what I get for thinking. While I know nothing about this place, because I havent been there, I'll pretend like I do and ramble on for a bit.

The village is about 1,500 people and is located just 10 miles from Orange Walk town and about 4 miles east of the Mexican border. I will be working in a primary school which the equivalent is roughly K-8 in the states. My primary job is to help run a computer literacy program. From what I have been told they have one of the nicest computer labs in the country but not many people there know how to use them. The computer lab is air conditioned so thats damn exciting! Maybe I wont be going through numerous sets of clothes a day from sweating through what I'm wearing.

Secondary projects are open but ideas are to organize sports teams and possibly coach different sports. There are a few youth groups already formed and they seem to need leadership and organization. Im excited for all these things, despite not being really an expert at any of the things that I get to do.

The best part about this site is that for the most part the village is exactly what I asked for. The job itself could be different things but there seems to be plenty of flexibility. My favorite part is the language. Being so close to Mexico and in the North makes it easy to learn Spanish. My packet says that "Spanish is the primary language here and some people speak English and Kriol."

Chetumal is the nearest big town in Mexico and is rumored to be the greatest place on earth when you are living in Belize. They have everything you can imagine. It's like a WalMart without the non-unionized workers. Instead, it's just capitalism at its best in the 3rd world. Makes no sense with the WalMart analogy, but just go with it. Either way, it only costs $5 bz for me to get there and this is a long shot but I hear they have US microbrews there. Someone is probably just lying to me so I get excited but I'll keep my hopes up and cross your fingers for me.

If you are wondering exactly where Yo Creek is on that map up there, its basically at the bottom of the "v" in River Hondo just west of Orange Walk town.

I will be in Belmopan until Monday morning then I head up there to live for 2 weeks with another host family, then swearing in, then 2 more weeks with the host family... then Im on my own. Visitors will be welcome. Check that: visitors are required.

1 Response to "Site Assignment: Yo Creek"

  1. Temple Community Gardeners says:
    October 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM

    hey kevin. congrats on the assignment! good beer outside of the US and europe is hard to beat! in the end, its all about the beer, i mean kids. enjoy life!