The Battle of St. George's Caye

Today, we celebrated the Battle of St. George's Caye. It was not nearly as festive as I would have thought but most people seem to be saving up their party pants for the 21st which is Independence Day here.

211 years ago, Belize fought a battle with the Spanish and won. This is basically the reason why Belize is still an english speaking nation today. Belize is the only English speaking country south of the United States border on the American continent. Every other country is Spanish speaking with the exception of Brazil.

Last night, I came home to help my host father load a truck with about 80 cases of beer for them to sell in front of the police station as a fund raiser for the Town Council. I thought my days of carrying cases of beer were over, I was wrong.

We had a good time and got to hear the mayor speak at midnight as they raised the flag in honor of the day. Its known here as either St. George Caye Day or National Day. They had fireworks which were cool but lets just say they dont have anything on WEBN.

I got the chance to try Potato wine last night and it tastes just like that... potatoes. Not really my cup of tea but they ferment anything here because alcohol is held onto tightly and run like a monopoly. Belikin or potatoes... I havent decided which tastes worst.

Coming up... a full description of Belikin Beer and the varieties of horrible beer contained in the confines of Belize.

1 Response to "The Battle of St. George's Caye"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    March 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM

    I am able to make link exchange with HIGH pr pages on related keywords like [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com]bad credit loans[/url] and other financial keywords.
    My web page is www.usainstantpayday.com

    If your page is important contact me.
    please only good pages, wih PR>2 and related to financial keywords
    Thanks
    Nomseasetruse