South Africa... Day 2

Second day we decided to try to go to a mall and do some shopping. A taxi driver told us of a place called Century City that had cheap prices and wasn’t too far away. We dediced to take him up on it since it was a short drive and we didn’t have too much else to do being that it was a shitty day and it was raining and very windy.
I thought I had been to some malls in my day, but none of them compared to this place. It was bar none the biggest mall I have ever seen in my entire life. We walked around for about 4 hours and I don’t think we saw half of it.
Now I may have never been to Times Square or anything but this place’s food court gave Times Square a run for its money. It was 3 stories high and full of restaurants including flat screen TVs for as far as the eye can see. It just happened to be the time for us to see what soccer meant to South African people. It was the Liverpool against Manchester United. Now people in the States can sometimes enjoy soccer but this was a new extreme. Like I said it was 3 stories full of hangovers for everyone to be able to see the probably 150 foot wide jumbotron in the middle of the food court. I would guess that at least 2,000 people were there just to watch this game. I don’t mean that there just happened to be 2,000 people sitting there, I mean there were 2,000 people there just to watch that game. People had their faces painted, hair dyed and flags of their team hanging from every level. Most people were Man. United fans and anytime the ball got close to a shot on goal you could feel everyone in that place hold their breathe in anticipation of a goal.
I found this fascinating that on a Saturday afternoon that so many people found it to be the thing to do was to go to a mall and watch a soccer game in the middle of the food court. I’m not someone that gets into soccer all too much but watching them and their passion for the game was something that was admirable either way.
I think one of the most noticeable things about Cape Town was how I felt at home the entire time I was there. Anything that happened was very similar to what I would have imagined it would be like in another city of America. Nick once told me that Cape Town was just like San Francisco and I didn’t believe him, but after 2 days, it was evident that Cape Town seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary from what I was used to.
That night was spent out at the bars again at a place called Cool Runnings with Roberto and Andrea. It was Andrea’s last night before leaving for a safari so we had to paint the town our favorite color before leaving. She didn’t leave until 6am so that meant we had all night to go out, get crazy, and dance until the sun came up.

1 Response to "South Africa... Day 2"

  1. MdrnPrincess says:
    March 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM

    Next time you go back to South Africa I am coming with you... I think I need to go to this mall!