Social Contract Conundrum

After walking around South Africa today I have come to a realization that we have a problem that people need to discuss. In America, we always walk on the right side of the road and we also drive on the right side of the road. Anytime we are coming from opposite directions from another person, each person yields to the right to let the other person pass. This is how things work...

Here is the problem: in other countries, some people walk on the left, and some walk on the right. The right way to walk is not always the "right" of way. Bahamas and South Africa have both driven on the left side of the road and the people seem to be just as confused as I am. There needs to be international law.

I dont know if everyone should walk on the right side, the left side, or with however the accepted side of the way you drive on but we need some resolution here. I'm tired of dancing back and forth with people in awkward situations that no one seems to know the answer to which side we should yield to.

I think Im gonna stick with the right way. I just wish I knew which way the right way was?

9 Response to "Social Contract Conundrum"

  1. MdrnPrincess says:
    March 2, 2007 at 5:30 PM

    Oh my goodness I agree with you 100%! Here in the UK they drive on the left so at the beginning I just assumed they must walk on the left but even til this day people are still getting confused about which side to yield to. You'd think the country could make up their minds about which side they like to travel on. I now no longer care and walk on the right side. Every now and again I get into a shimmy with someone but I have asked and not even the English know how they are to travel. Maybe I will write Parliament!

  2. Anonymous Says:
    March 3, 2007 at 11:58 AM

    i like this one. short, to the point, and my eyeballs aren't dangling out of my head...i prefer the right.

  3. Anonymous Says:
    March 4, 2007 at 2:51 AM

    i meant to ask you last time i commented how the haiku's were coming along...have you made it to 500 yet? if so, you should send me your work. but in the mean time i am going to write you one.

    fo co misses you
    we need our kevo right now
    the liquor awaits

  4. Anonymous Says:
    March 6, 2007 at 10:21 AM

    hey I skimmed your post about braZil... and i'm not impressed.
    Mardi Gras > carnival

  5. Anonymous Says:
    March 7, 2007 at 10:45 AM

    we only have about 10 hours to read about your adventures before we leave.... update!!!

  6. Anonymous Says:
    March 7, 2007 at 10:45 AM

    we only have about 10 hours to read about your adventures before we leave.... update!!!

  7. Anonymous Says:
    March 8, 2007 at 12:53 PM

    Kevin, I know you, Anna, etc are
    having a wonderful time in Capetown, but you are neglecting your blog readers. If you don't
    keep us updated about your adventures, I will have to give you
    a time-out to get caught up when I see you in Viet Nam!
    CHAR

  8. Sarah Can says:
    March 12, 2007 at 2:58 AM

    Did you ever get your computer a new hard drive? How did that work out?

  9. Mary says:
    March 12, 2007 at 11:21 AM

    Hey Kevin-

    Sorry I havent written in awhile. I had srugery this last Friday, and all I have been doing is sleeping. Speaking of which- I think I need to go take a nap...I hope you're loving South Africa.