Yo Creek Football

Introducing the Yo Creek Football Team

Dennis, Leander, Eucario

Adir, Luis, Michael

Jonathon, Kevin, Pedro

Jose, Eduardo, Gabrielle
Jorge, Alejandro

Due to some crazy rules that say all boys in the annual football championship must be under 13 years old, our team was a bit smaller than we had originally expected. I'd say our best 6 players weren't allowed to play. Some as young as 7, Jorge, made the team. Despite their size, some of our best players are some of the youngest (Alejandro, 9).
I'm supposed to be their assistant coach but as time goes on, it's pretty easy to see that I'm running the show. They practice everyday after school regardless of who shows up to watch. They have great individual skills but have no concept of what playing as a team is.
Our first game was last Friday against San Felipe Village. They were supposed to be 2nd best behind August Pine Ridge and the boys were scared. It was a hard fought game in the first half with the half ending at 2-1. 1 of the SF goals came on a penalty kick so we were right in the game.

Different shots throughout the game. Notice how in a few of them you can count 5 Yo Creek boys in blue but only 2 San Felipe guys. We bunch together like cattle. Hence, the lopsided score. We have work to do.
The second half is when the wheels fell off. We got lazy and ended up losing 6-1. This was my first time really watching them play. I was worried at first because of how little I had ever played soccer before, but I quickly learned that while they are much better than me at the game, I know much more about it than they do. Things like offsides and passing are just as foreign to them as IPAs and apple pies.



Despite getting killed and needing to do a lot of work with the boys, it was great because many people from the village came to the game. We chartered a bus and packed it full. While I still don't know 90% of those on the bus, they know me. I'm the white guy! And I was the only one really pacing up and down the field like I was bothered by losing 6-1. Most people couldn't care less. It was hot and shade was more important than what the score was.
In the past week, the boys still play football with no hope of getting better. I told them I'm willing to coach them into what little I know is a soccer team, but they said they already know. It may take a few more losses for them to figure it out the hard way that asking for help isn't always a bad thing. I know I've learned this lesson far too often, and I hope they do as well.

1 Response to "Yo Creek Football"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    February 1, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.