The Stench We Call India

The strangest thing about India is how the country has a distinct odor to it. You get off the ship in Chennai (where we docked) and it burns your nose. At times, it’s so strong you don’t even breathe because breathing even through your mouth allows you to taste the air. It has been a few days since we have sailed away from this country and if I open up any bag that contains anything from that country, I know exactly what came from India. I can pick up any clothes, and I know immediately if I wore them in India. I can take a breath right now and know exactly what it used to smell like just a few days ago. I can’t really put into words what exactly it smells like but it’s different in every city. Chennai, New Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, and Sarnath all have their own unique smells. I’m sure the other cities that I didn’t get the chance to visit have their own as well. It sets them apart from the rest. Some cities have skylines, some have famous attractions, and India has the smell.
While it is not the most pleasant thing, don’t write off India as bad just because of the scent. It’s part of the culture and by keeping an open mind and just experiencing it for what it is, then you truly get the chance to live like they do. The smells of coal, smog, feces, burnt human flesh, soap, grease, exhaust, people, dogs, and cows all mix together to form what they call India. It’s utterly disgusting and fragrant at the same time. It’s something you don’t want to ever smell again but something you can’t get enough of. And this is something pictures or stories will never do justice.