My "Hokie Pokie Dance"

The winter here is rapidly approaching. Last week I saw a woman wearing ear muffs. The children show up to school each day in sweaters and hats. I wake up to my host family talking about how they couldn't sleep the night before because they were shivering all night and couldn't get warm.

I think the lowest the temperature has gone is maybe 60 degrees.

I have never closed my windows and still often sleep without any blankets because I get hot. The one thing I have stopped relying as heavily on as a crutch is my beloved fan. I still consider the fan my best friend in the country of Belize. When I move out on my own in the next week, I will feel like Im cheating on my one true love when I have to buy a new fan of my own. It was never mine anyway, just my "sweetheart" for the time being. (A sweetheart is what is referred to as the 2nd girlfriend down here because men so often have more than one. The second one is sweeter... men.)

The hardest part of my day is the dreaded shower. Its a bitter sweet moment really. I used to love them. It was the only cool part of my day. I still I sweat in the shower when it's hot. Now it has turned more into the Hokie Pokie. It goes a little something like this...

I step into the shower. I get myself psyched up. Take a few deep breaths. Look at the red valve on the wall and think about the decision I'm about to make. Sometimes I reach down and touch my toes and stretch. repeat. I always find myself looking at the red valve and taking deep breaths before finally turning it and sealing my fate.

The water comes on but doesn't touch me. I'm lucky enough to have a block of concrete to take a shower in where I can face the water to the wall and only small drops of water get on me. The worst part hasn't even begun yet. Now comes the Hokie Pokie.

I put my right hand in, I take my right hand out. I put my left hand in and I shake it all about. This doesn't usually help at all. All my skin is just tightening everywhere and I immediately turn into the 3 year old kid standing on the edge of the swimming pool refusing to jump in ready to scream blood murder to anyone willing to listen.

I put my left foot in, I take my left foot out. Right foot in, and shake it all about. This proceeds to the arms, then the calves and thighs. If I'm feeling confident I'll dip my head in. I usually stand there for about 2 minutes thinking of what to do next. When I have come back from the initial shock, I think I am ready. I wet my hair and do the shampoo thing. My entire torso is still dry. I then wash my legs and arms delaying at all costs what lies ahead. Then it is time.

I take a step forward and every cell in my molecular body shrinks instantly but at the same time it is so refreshing that I stay. I wash up and by this time my body is used to it and its not so bad. Not so bad at all.

The alternatives are easy. I could wash myself with some warm water in a bucket. Some even call those "bucket baths" but that would be too easy. I made a stupid bet with myself when I got here in Belize that I wouldn't be taking a hot shower for 2 years. Well, 100 days in, I am still faithful to my word. More because I have yet to find a hot shower, but I also have been too lazy to warm a pot of water on the stove. I prefer to dance in the shower thankful that no one can see me, knowing they would do the same thing if they were in my shoes.

The biggest decision of my day is turning the red valve. We have a love/hate relationship, or should I say hot/cold?

1 Response to "My "Hokie Pokie Dance""

  1. Unknown says:
    December 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM

    Kevin,

    this post made my day. as I sit in my bed during the last 2 hour delay i may ever have- i got goosebumps just thinking of a frigid shower. i think it also sealed my fate-- i might not be cut out for peace corps. i think i would miss hot showers most of all...

    but seriously, i laughed out loud at this. : )