Mangos

Go to your local Kroger or King Soupers today and check out how much mangos are. I bet they are over $1 each. How much are they here?

FREE

Why? Well, just like money in the United States, they grow on trees. They are everywhere. Sounds delicious right. But there is a catch 22 in every situation.

For some odd reason, Belizeans love salt and pepper. So instead of waiting for the mangos to become ripe, they pick them, peel them, and put salt and pepper on them until they taste good.

The idea of waiting for them to become ripe when they are sweet and delicious seems to fall on deaf ears. Similar to sarcasm and inside jokes.

The catch 22 is something I am waiting to find out. Will there be so many mangos once they are ripe that we must eat them before they go bad? By eating them now when they are green, does it help them so none are wasted?

I don't know the answer to this, but if kids keep coming to school everyday with salt, pepper, and mango in a bag and in a few months when they are ripe I cant find any of them... I'm gonna be pissed.

Think about that next time you go to the grocery and think about buying fresh fruit. Is it really fresh if there are only 3 months of the year where people who live where it grows can eat it?

1 Response to "Mangos"

  1. Maggie Browder says:
    April 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM

    Hope all is well in Yo Creek. Our group is gathering in Tahoe in a few weeks to recap with George and Irma and maybe even plan our next trip.
    I hope the mangoes last long enough to get ripe....though I won't like you at all if you get mangoes fresh from the tree and I am stuck with the ones from the grocery store :)
    Hug Lorena for me!
    Maggie